It seems to be that every time we lift a newspaper or turn on the news there is another story of how someone has ended their life by suicide. Unfortunately these cases are the ones that have made the headlines for one reason or another and they are just the tip of the iceberg.
We hear how the suicide rate is higher now because of the recession; because of a negative view of life; because of drug abuse; because of sexual abuse; because of cyber bullying; because of the lack of mental health services; because of the pressure of Christmas and on and on it goes.
The truth is there is no one reason why someone would want to die by suicide. Suicide is not racist, ageist, anti-women, sectarian and doesn’t care how much money you have or don’t have. We are all in a ‘high risk’ category because suicide can affect any one of us. We have all been touched in some way by suicide.
It can sometimes feel like a losing battle, but it is a battle that we must keep fighting, especially on behalf of those who are too tired to fight anymore. Drogheda Sinn Féin is hosting a PIPS course on Suicidal Awareness Training.
There will be a number of issues covered:
- Reduce the stigma, and the myths, around mental health
- Increase understanding of mental health, stress and depression
- Increase awareness around the extensive support available to those at risk
- Help identify warning signs that a person may be at risk of suicide
- Develop a clearer understanding of groups who may be at higher risk of suicide
- Reduce the fear of helping someone at risk by Talking, Listening and Caring and linking those to available help
- Introduce simple ways of developing positive mental health within participants.
This has always proved a popular course (provided by PIPS) and will be held from 10am – 4pm in the Sinn Féin Office in West Street, Drogheda on Saturday 5th April.
All are welcome to attend.
If you are experiencing suicidal feelings there are a number of services that can help:
Pieta House – 01 601 0000
Samaritans – Free phone 116 123
SOSAD – 041 9848 754