Last Friday saw Drogheda residents and businesses without water yet again. Council workers erecting a ‘No Parking’ sign in John Street accidently drilled into a water main causing three businesses in the street to flood and deprived half the town of water. The rest of Drogheda had brown or murky water coming out of their taps.
Local Sinn Féin Councillor Kenneth Flood was inundated with calls, texts and emails from affected residents. “The Council estimated the water would be off until midnight and their website said there would be water collection points at Wogans in the town and on Newfoundwell Road” said Councillor Flood. “However, there was no signage or containers at the latter collection point and people were queueing at Wogans until after midnight.”
Councillor Flood had requested a water tanker to visit the affected areas in the late afternoon. However, Flood said “after 5pm my follow up calls to the Council’s water services line went unanswered as did their out of hours emergency number and their website updates stopped. It is unacceptable that residents are left with no information just because it is after 5pm on a Friday.”
The situation had not improved by Saturday. Kenneth Flood said “residents can not use washing machines, dishwashers or even shower properly. I had been told that the water was building back up in the system and full service would be restored soon. I was told again that the website could not be updated to keep people informed until Monday. It’s a nonsense situation and an illogical way of conducting a public service.”
Councillor Flood intends to submit a motion for the next Municipal District meeting asking that Irish Water attend so “we can lay out the facts before them and demand a better service for the people of Drogheda which will include:
- The website to be updated out of hours if needed
- Water tankers with drinking water sent to affected areas as a matter of protocol
- Follow-up plumbing service to deal with air-locks after an outage
The people of Drogheda deserve to be treated with a bit of respect and that has been sadly lacking.”
Sinn Féin County Councillor in Louth Tomás Sharkey is calling for the 2015 Leaving Certificate Results to be released earlier than the traditional mid-August date.
“This years Leaving Certificate results are due to be issued this week. Students will know how many points they got and college places will be awarded in the coming weeks. This leaves very little time for students and families to make arrangements for the start of the first semester.
“Every year students appeal some results and their exams are rechecked. This year, the appealed results will not be available until mid-october. I believe that this timeline is not good enough. There is no reason why results can’t be issued to students at the start of August and appealed result made available by the end of September.
“Earlier Leaving Cert results will give students more time to find accommodation and to sort grant applications. Earlier appeals results will mean that students can join their higher preference college courses before it is too late.
“The State Examinations Commission is an efficient organization and I believe that if the Minister for Education requested this new timeframe, it would be achieved.
Sinn Féin Councillors Kenneth Flood & Edel Corrigan have urged the people of Louth to have their say in an online survey. It is being conducted by Louth County Council and An Garda Síochána as part of their ongoing partnership approach to improving the daily lives of people living, working and visiting in the county.
Kenneth Flood said “We want to hear from every section of the community. Get involved because this affects you and me. Go to the website below and take the short survey. It is very user friendly. We need the community involved in how we can solve the problem of crime in our areas. Once the problems are identified, the community and An Garda Síocháná need to work together on how to make Louth a better and safer place to live and work in.”
Councillor Corrigan explained “the results of this anonymous and confidential survey will be used to develop a Community Safety Strategy for Louth. People have a right to feel safe in their own home and environment, so let’s all play a part in making that happen.”
Share your views and complete this survey by Friday August 22. Log on to www.louthcoco.ie and follow the links, or click directly on:
Young Person’s Community Safety Survey: http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/1698936/1406130
General Community Safety Survey : http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/1699586/1406131
Business Survey: http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/1700699/1406132 to complete this survey.